Author Topic: 2018 CSCC Ice Dice series Info  (Read 1766 times)

Offline speedracer

• Torque? Just crank up the boost!
  • Administrator
  • Plaid RPM
  • A peon...
    • speedracer.ca
2018 CSCC Ice Dice series Info
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:19:17 PM »

1 INTRODUCTION
Welcome to the 2018 “Ice Dice” presented by the Calgary Sports Car Club (CSCC). Ice Dice is a recreational off-road Solo2 event in which participants compete individually against the clock on a temporary pylon course. The “Ice Dice” will be a best 3 out of 4 series taking place on Ghost Lake.

Our goal is to provide a controlled environment for performance driving in extreme winter conditions. Please be mindful of others who are on the lake but are not a part of our event. We ask that you refrain from warm-up, fast, or spirited driving while not on our track. Thank you for your understanding.

Behavior Policy
Motorsport is a privilege, not a right. Our aim is to demonstrate that motorsport can be conducted in an organized, responsible, and respectful manner.

Unacceptable behaviors (you will be forced to leave immediately, possibly banned from future events)
  • Littering (e.g. car parts, cigarettes, garbage, food, vehicle fluids, etc.)
  • Impacting the shoreline in any way
  • Mistreatment of the other users of the lake
  • Racing, burn outs, or stunting outside of the the track
  • Possession, use, or being under the influence of drugs or alcohol
  • You are also responsible for your friends and family who there to spectate
2 SCHEDULE
See Picture above for schedule

3 ENTRY FEE
2017 CSCC membership is available at http://msreg.com/csccmembership

Registered on MSR
- CSCC Member: $40 per participant
- Non-member: $70 per participant

* A maximum of two participants per car is allowed.
** Affiliated members must present their current membership card at registration in order to be eligible for the member rate.
*** Holding spots for other people is not allowed.

4 LOCATION
On Ghost Lake just west of Cochrane.

We recommend that you make your way onto the lake via the boat ramp located here: https://goo.gl/maps/q5ntbine42Q2

The event will be held at this specific location on the lake: https://goo.gl/maps/CGaSJpVxiRr

5 WEATHER AND EVENT CANCELLATION
Event cancellation is subject to the condition of the ice. As this is a winter event, expect the weather to be cold; you can't go wrong by dressing like it's -40 degrees.

6 COMPETITION FORMAT
Double Heat format
4 timed runs in both the morning and afternoon heats.
Result is based on the cumulative total of participants two (2) fastest laps, one (1) from the morning and one (1) from the afternoon.
Run in two classes, each broken down to three classes according to drive configuration.
DOT studded tires: all wheel drive, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive
DOT non studded tires: all wheel drive, front wheel drive, rear wheel drive

7 SERIES FORMAT
Series results will be based on the best 3 finishes for the season.
In each of the car classes, points will be assigned for each event to the top 12 finishers in the value 20 for first in class, 16 for second, 14, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Points classing may change prior to first event, but not after.

8 TIRES
- Winter tires are mandatory.
- Commercially available DOT tires only.
- Commercially available street studs only (No screws or bolts, rally, zamboni or other oversize studs)

Studded tires are subject to the following restrictions:
Studded tires produced by a tire manufacturer (such as the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9), that are DOT approved for use on public roads may be used. These tires must retain, the original amount and type of stud installed at time of manufacture and must not be modified.

Tires in which studs are installed subsequent to the manufacturing process may also be used and the following conditions must be met.
  • (a) Studs must protrude no more than 3.5mm from the tread face, and meet the Tire stud Manufacturers Index (TSMI) specifications on size 12, 13, 15 or 16. Stud construction shall have a single base flange, a cylindrical body, and carbide tip with maximum diameter of 2.5mm.
  • (b) The studs must be mounted in DOT tires that are designated by the manufacturer as studdable and are produced with moulded holes for the purpose of stud retention.
  • (c) There may only be a maximum of 130 studs per tire, regardless of tire size.
  • (d) Adhesive may be used to affix the stud into the tire.
  • (e) Homemade, competition, specialty, off road or custom studs are not permitted.
9 REQUIRED EQUIPMENt

Helmets
 Helmets must be worn by all occupants of the car while the the car is on the track.
• FIA 8860-2004
• FIA 8860-2010
• Snell 2015 SA, or 2015 M
• Snell 2010 SA, 2010 SAH, or 2010 M
• Snell 2005 SA, or 2005 M (expiry 31.12.2018)
• SFI Foundation 31.1A or 31.2A or 31.1/2005 (expiry 31.12, 2018)

Tarps and Trash
  • A tarp. While on the ice your car may only park on a tarp that you yourself must provide. Princess Auto is good source for inexpensive tarp.
    You will be asked to leave to go buy a tarp
  • All trash is to be taken home
  • No leaking fluids of any kind!

http://aep.alberta.ca/water/programs-and-services/respect-our-lakes/documents/ROL-KeepingAlbertasLakesHealthy-Sep2015.pdf

10 EVENT SCHEDULE
  • 7:30am - 9:15am:  Course Setup
  • 8:00am - 9:00am:  *Registration (map to registration)
  • 8:00am - 9:15am:  *Tech (on the lake)
  • 8:45am - 9:15am:  Course Walk (on the lake)
  • 9:15am - 9:30am:  *Drivers Meeting (on the lake)
  • 9:45am - 4:15pm:  Driving
  • 4:15pm - 4:30pm:  Wrap-up Meeting (on the lake)
  • 4:30pm - 5:30pm:  Fun Runs and Teardown

* Mandatory

Participants who have not registered before the drivers meeting may forfeit their entry to another entrant on the waiting list.

11 SELF-TECH FORM

http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ASN_SoloSport_Tech_Self_Insp_Form.pdf

http://www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ASN_English_General_Waiver_09.pdf

Please print, fill out, and bring boths forms to registration.

12 EVENT OUTLINE
Volunteers
- All competitors are required to spend one half of the event marshalling.
- It takes at least 8 dedicated volunteers (and involved, cooperative participants!) to run a successful event. Please come out a bit early to help with tech inspection, course setup or timing.

Registration
- Upon arrival, all participants and spectators are to report to registration.
- Submit their self-tech inspection form (see Section ) to registration.
- All participants and spectators will sign any/all waivers for the event.

Technical Inspection
- Following registration participants are to claim a position in the paddock/parking area and prepare the vehicle for the event. Parking in designated area on nylon tarp only, a minimum of a two car widths must be left between parked cars. Remove all loose articles.
- Report to the Tech Inspection rep when your vehicle is ready for inspection.
- Please try to stay with your vehicle until it has been inspected. Drivers should be present during tech inspection.
- Seat belts are in good working condition (stock three-point seat belts are acceptable)
- Acceptable pressure in brake system (pedal doesn't hit the floor!)
- No loose items in the vehicle
- Battery securely fascinated (no bungee cords!)
- Brake fluid levels within vehicle prescribed limits
- Tires in safe operating condition
- Wheel bearings not loose and all wheel nuts acceptable
- No leaking fluids of any kind!

* Note that marshalls and organizers have the right to deny entry to any vehicle deemed unsafe. The organizers also have the right to re-tech any vehicle at any time and deny further participation of the vehicle if deemed unsafe.

Drivers Meeting
- All participants are required to attend the drivers meeting.
- Cars will be divided into two or three run groups (depending on number of competitors).
- The initial tasking and rotation order will be established.

* Participants who have not registered before the drivers meeting may forfeit their entry to another entrant on the waiting list.

Timed Runs
- Morning heat and afternoon heat
- 3 to 4 runs per participant before rotation of groups.

13 Marshalling
- All competitors are expected to marshal. No exceptions.

Your responsibility when Marshaling is:
- Remaining alert and watching for problems or unsafe conditions on the track
- Identifying dangers to and stopping competitors
- Maintaining radio contact with Race Control
- Reporting and replacing displaced cones
- Watching other competitors, learning, and having fun
- Keeping warm

14 Insurance

Your vehicle is not covered by most insurance policies while driving on the lake. Filing a claim for damage done on the lake may be considered fraud. CSCC carries insurance for the event, but it does not cover damage to vehicles.

15 Other Rules and Regulations
These events are held under the spirit of the CNAC Rulebook. All of sections 3 and 4 of the CNAC Regulations.
- www.asncanada.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/ASN-2017-Autoslalom-Regulations-complete.pdf
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:14:16 PM by speedracer »
Brando
#23 D-Mod 98 ACR neon
#69 ST-4 94 EG Turbo @ 1.20kg/cm2 :D
#69 IT-J 94 Integra
94 TLC - Tow Rig

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

2018 CSCC Ice Dice series Info
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:19:17 PM »

Offline lophilip

Re: 2018 CSCC Ice Dice series Info
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
I think ice dice has been cancelled for this season?

Offline midnightsky

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:53:48 PM »

negative CSCC is going ahead with ice dice
1995 Toyota Celica GT SOLD
1995 Acura Integra RS SOLD
2002 Acura RSX Base SOLD
1995 Subaru STi Type RA SOLD
2004 Honda Accord 2.4L SOLD
2017 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L Winters Moonlight

Offline ChairmanMa

• 2018 Rallycross Director
  • Arch (Moderator)
  • 3000 RPM
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
Unfortunately the Calgary Sports Car Club has been unable to secure permission to hold events on Ghost Reservoir. Both the Winter Driving Academy as well as the Test & Tune events are now canceled.

Will there be more events? Possibly. Like we said in our December 14 club meeting if we were not able to be on the lake as a club that we would attempt to find another way. "Finding another way" takes time. If we have the patience and determination to keep going then we would ask that you have the patience to wait.

negative CSCC is going ahead with ice dice

Guys, I don't want to be rude but unless you are involved in organizing, don't speak for the club.

Offline midnightsky

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 11:37:52 AM »
I also do not wish to be rude, and it might be unavoidable in this case, but why would you post events up that you do not have permission to use the land/water/ice? That just creates confusion for everyone.  You guys need to be more forthcoming with that kind of info.  Let everyone know that you are working on obtaining the proper permissions and maybe hold off buying a dedicated car for said events which some people did purchase and now have zero use for.  I did not do that myself but I cannot imagine how frustrated those who did will be feeling right now.  We need to keep the information flowing much more fluidly.  I strongly disagree with posting dates for events that permissions have not been obtained for.  I'll leave it at that.
2002 Acura RSX Base SOLD

Offline Phr00t

• 2017 Treasurer; 2016 President
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 5000 RPM
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »
At the time the events were posted, the CSCC had full permission to use the lake from the parties involved. Only after posting up the events did that change.

The organizers get caught between a rock and a hard place: "Why haven't the events been posted yet?" when they were getting their ducks in a row and confirming we could use it, and now "Why did it get canceled so late" after finally receiving word that we could not proceed 100% legally.

Steve W
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Production Class
1995 Subaru WRX STi Type RA future Rallycross monster

Offline ChairmanMa

• Arch (Moderator)
  • 3000 RPM
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 01:44:57 PM »
You guys need to be more forthcoming with that kind of info.  Let everyone know that you are working on obtaining the proper permissions

This information is/was discussed at both of our previous club meetings.

I think what you mean to say is why isn't this available freely on the internet? Part of it is just as Phr00t said. Another part is that there is a high probability that someone, who is not us, reads the reasons why permissions might not be moving forward and take it upon themselves to start some sort of public outcry. I would say that it's definitely happened and it did the motorsport community disservice.

buying a dedicated car for said events which some people did purchase and now have zero use for.  I did not do that myself but I cannot imagine how frustrated those who did will be feeling right now.

Said cars are still drivable. There are still events in and around Alberta. There just isn't a CSCC event at the moment.

Online PrezeS_PL

• 2013-2016 Rallycross Director
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 5000 RPM
    • Polish Rally Mafia
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »
Situation is very complex, we're dealing with no less than three government agencies and land owner.
We did in fact receive permission to run the event but very late last week we found out that there is one more permit we need to secure and unfortunately we were not able so far.

We have a option to apply for premission with ministry but only god knows how long would that take. Instead we're trying to arrange for a meeting and maybe than we will be able to find common language, address concerns and receive premission.
Throwing ones name around internet or sending reporters do dig in is a sure way to close that window for dialogue.

It sucks we had to cancel the test and tune, I get that, I was signed up, I spent number of hours and few bucks preparing the car. But you know what also sucks? Organizers collectively spend hundreds of hours, (I can personally take a quize on knowledge of public lands act and water act) and we still don't have a event. That sucks even more.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:51:06 PM by PrezeS_PL »

Offline midnightsky

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
Appreciate all the information guys thank you.  Didn't mean to come across as a wet blanket tho Im sure that's how I sounded.  We all appreciate the efforts everyone has put into making events like this happen.  Here's to hoping that last barrier can be breached and Ice Dice can still go ahead this season.
2002 Acura RSX Base SOLD

Offline Arthur Dent

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 01:51:40 PM »
I am assuming that Jan 21st is on hold then? I'm from Lethbridge and would love to come up to participate but obviously don't want to make the drive if its not on. Appreciate everyone trying organize these.

Offline ChairmanMa

• Arch (Moderator)
  • 3000 RPM
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »
I am assuming that Jan 21st is on hold then? I'm from Lethbridge and would love to come up to participate but obviously don't want to make the drive if its not on. Appreciate everyone trying organize these.

On hold.

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

anything