Author Topic: Group Buy - gathering interest for rims/rubber/studs.  (Read 911 times)

Offline bswiftly

Group Buy - gathering interest for rims/rubber/studs.
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
I talked to a couple of people interested in shortening the non-studded line.   If Daniel ('04 STi) and Kevin (Legacy wagon?) are still interested that will make 4 for next year including myself and Owen.

We're all running different cars so this can't be a typical uniform group buy.. but initially I wanted to get interest and see if we can find someone to give us ~10% discount or so.

Rough estimate (based on '09 STi):
~520 rims
~400 cheap asian rubber
~100 studs & install.  (3.5mm)

The assumed common goal is to keep it as cheap as possible but have a dedicated set for the Ice Dice. But as we are all likely purchasing different sizes I'm not sure tire/rim brand will matter.

There was mention of someone with a contact in town that would be interested, but online shops we could try as well.    This is very early as we might do the order in August.

Names so far:  (will just use this list to reach out in the fall of 2017)
* bswiftly
* oates76
* Danny0
* kevco83
* ChairmanMa
* nnywg

Anyone else interested?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:01:35 PM by bswiftly »

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

Group Buy - gathering interest for rims/rubber/studs.
« on: February 07, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »

Offline ChairmanMa

Re: Group Buy - gathering interest for rims/rubber/studs.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:41:41 AM »
I am interested but I would opt for a shorter stud for my purchase.

Offline nnywg

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
I'd like to come back to icedice again next year but rwd non-studded was pretty frustrating.  Please keep me in the loop - not sure what I'd be driving as that's a year away, but I'd probably have the rims side of things covered.  Likely just tires & studs.  Spec R would be a good start, nothing but good reviews of that place from our members.
'07 Tacoma X-runner
'85 Celica Supra (restomod in progress)
'72 Hilux

Offline HiTempguy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 10:34:14 AM »
What size of rims would people require?

I can give fantastic deals to you guys on rally-spec rims that have proper offset and center bores for your specific fitments :)

Adam Vokes
ChassisFlex Motorsports @ http://www.facebook.com/ChassisFlexMotorsports

Offline DannyO

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
I'm good for rims, as I got my original gold BBS I can rock with these, so would just need tires to fit the 17x7.5 size.

I haven't used SpecR before, but have only heard good things about them, and they used to be the main sponsor of the rallycross racing in the parking lot back when Race City was around, so they would be worth a shout. I'll also check with Urban Expressions when I contact them next, as I plan to inquire about new summer rubber in the next month or 2.

Offline kevco83

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 05:38:44 AM »
Hey Brett, that was me with the black Outback.   I'd be interested in a dedicated 16" or 17" set with max stud length if a deal came up.   Keep me in the loop on this.   
2007 Outback XT

Offline CRX Don

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:01:43 PM »
Spec R studded my tires this year and they worked well. Contact Kyle Ho at Spec R. He is working out of the Haute AG shop near Barlow and Center Ave (not Center Street).

Offline bswiftly

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »
With the snow in the forecast for tonight I thought about coming to check this thread..      thought I'd refresh the thread and see if we can get the ball rolling again.

If anyone isn't interested that's on that list - I can take you off.

I'm guessing we probably want to have delivery by xmas or just before, so we have a bit of time to get this sorted out.   Any new names want in on the list?   Then we can shop around for prices, or more likely a group discount rate as we probably only have a couple cars buying the exact same gear.

Offline Towona

• 9000 RPM
  • Maximize fun for minimal cost
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »
Thumbs up for Kyle at Spec R.

Also, Lightspeed in Red Deer sell tires now. Cam can probably give you a good deal.
Tony @ Runamuck Rally/Racing
91 VW GTi (Casper)
86 VW Jetta (Slimer)

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »