Author Topic: Spring Test Day?  (Read 1259 times)

Offline zerodegreec

Re: Spring Test Day?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »
It almost sounds like you're making a case against having test days? I'll take it as a point to keep us sharp that the danger is still real. In which case +1. 

Keeping on our toes, not getting complacent. 

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 08:39:39 AM »

Offline speedracer

• Torque? Just crank up the boost!
  • Administrator
  • Plaid RPM
  • A peon...
    • speedracer.ca
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 12:25:28 PM »
Maybe I don't fully appreciate the issue. Correlation is not causation. It is an event and regardless if it falls under "test and tune", the risk and reward stays the same.

Brando
#23 D-Mod 98 ACR neon
#69 ST-4 94 EG Turbo @ 1.20kg/cm2 :D
#69 IT-J 94 Integra
94 TLC - Tow Rig

Offline Captain Lou

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
Addressing the Loop being boring issue,  what about the jumping pound section on the other side of the highway?  we last  ran it as a stage in 2014?  or testing, is it too long? too shore? too hard to secure?

Spencer

time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so

Offline Amanda

• Rally Director 2017
  • CSCC Executives
  • 1000 RPM
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
In some ways our "Test" days are more dangerous than a stage. At an event we have a thousand corners once (or 500 corners 2 twice if you are talking about Cochrane) where a sensible driver keeps a little bit in reserve, vs 25 corners a dozen times where the reserve diminishes throughout the day... talent does not increase.
I agree that Test Days have an overall higher risk associated with them. The causal environment being a big factor. When I say "casual environment", I think I'm talking about the same things you guy are.

For the more experienced drivers that come out, they know the loop like the back of their hand. They may not take each run as seriously as a stage run because it's the same thing over and over. I know I start to get sloppy doing repetitive tasks, and I think that applies to the test day loop.

For the volunteers, I've noticed that because it's much more relaxed environment for them that there is a larger overall margin for error - especially volunteers that have been around for a while. There can be a lot of forgotten communication, and errors in tracking cars that are specific to a casual environment.

Personally I have exactly zero problem with the fact that most entrants aren't testing and dialing in settings. I've done both - experimented and set my suspension and tire pressures even cam timing,  but also pure driving to build confidence and work out what I was doing right and what I could do better. Or get used to a a new co-driver. I believe it's all valid and valuable.
I agree with this too. I think I've actually heard people talking about practicing with a new driver/co-driver or just generally "dusting off" for the next event more than testing a build. I think it's equally important to test those things, and don't see an issue with it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 06:51:03 PM by Amanda »

Offline Tbr_moto

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
So... have we settled on a date yet? I personally don't care which road, for me its just to work the rust out for RMR.
2000 Ford Focus rally car
www.facebook.com/TBRmotorsports

Offline Morison

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »
I'm hearing there is a lack of significant interest from participants so the test day may not happen at all... but I can't substantiate that.
Keith Morison
PR - Calgary Sports Car Club
Morison Communications

Offline Flying_Finn

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2017, 01:10:27 PM »