Author Topic: Rally sims at the Race Room - opens Sunday, March 19th  (Read 472 times)

Offline Phr00t

• 2017 Treasurer; 2016 President
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
Rally sims at the Race Room - opens Sunday, March 19th
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
Our friends at the Race Room have just launched their rally sims! It should be no surprise to some of you that myself, Jorge Dascollas and his son, and Shawn Bishop were invited to the Race Room last month to dial-in their new rally sim hardware to get it ready for the masses.

They are now running 2 full-motion rally sims with incredible hardware, better pedals, steering wheel and shifter/handbrake than you see in most factory-built cars even.
The grand opening of their rally program is this Sunday, March 19th. They have 30 minute, 60 minute, and 120 minute packages, and are actually way less expensive than you would expect.

I picture rally teams coming in to practice pace notes, or maybe even service crews who want to see who is the faster driver?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 04:34:45 PM by Phr00t »
Steve W
1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Production Class
1995 Subaru WRX STi Type RA future Rallycross monster

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

Rally sims at the Race Room - opens Sunday, March 19th
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »

Offline ChairmanMa

Re: Rally sims at the Race Room - opens Sunday, March 19th
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 10:12:19 AM »
Since the Race Room is now advertising on the CSCC forum I think it's fair to ask if there will be any incentives and/or discounts offered to CSCC membership holders.

Offline Phr00t

• CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Since the Race Room is now advertising on the CSCC forum I think it's fair to ask if there will be any incentives and/or discounts offered to CSCC membership holders.

I've already had some conversations with Blair there about this, we haven't finalized an agreement but there will indeed be some sort of discount or incentive for CSCC members once we come up with what's best.
Steve W

Offline BlackArcher101

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:56:56 AM »
You mention Grand Opening, is there an event style thing we can drop in and visit?  Or is that just the day they are becoming available for rent?
Brad D

Offline Phr00t

• CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:16:38 AM »
First day they're opening it.

Blair will be planning a "win-your-ride" event where during one day, probably a Sunday, they'll hold a competition where whoever sets the fastest time over a few stages, will win a free session for the next time. That was his plan for this Grand Opening but not everything lined up so instead they are open to learning/driving and that competition will happen soon.
Steve W

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
Awesome! I've been hoping and waiting since they opened, that they'd get a sim for Rally driving!

Offline HiTempguy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 11:06:30 AM »
Is it Dirt Rally or Richard Burns they are using?

If its Dirt, I'll be disappointed :(

Edit-
I'll still come race though. The next rally social should be held here with a tournament.  :nutkick:
Adam Vokes
ChassisFlex Motorsports @ http://www.facebook.com/ChassisFlexMotorsports

Offline Phr00t

• CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 04:20:50 PM »
I attempted to put in RBR - Was able to get motion working, graphics mods etc, but no Force Feedback. Hard to get FFB with a high-quality modern wheel hub working in an older sim, unfortunately. I am still researching but it was looking like a no-go.

Even with Dirt, it's still damn good and the physics are 8/10. And once Dirt 4 comes out with the randomized stages and proper "sim" difficulty, it'll get even better.
Steve W

Offline HiTempguy

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »
I attempted to put in RBR - Was able to get motion working, graphics mods etc, but no Force Feedback. Hard to get FFB with a high-quality modern wheel hub working in an older sim, unfortunately. I am still researching but it was looking like a no-go.

Even with Dirt, it's still damn good and the physics are 8/10. And once Dirt 4 comes out with the randomized stages and proper "sim" difficulty, it'll get even better.

I don't think FFB is really necessary, in rally you saw at the wheel so much it doesn't take away from it.

If you want though, I know for a fact that Logitech MOMO wheels work perfect with it. Their limited steering angle (240*) is like a real quick rack, and they only have a sequential option which is also realistic. They are dirt cheap, so if you want to try and make it work, I am completely down to do so.

RBR physics (depending on the car) are practically 10/10. Hard to go back, and the new mods make it beautiful.

Just sayin', you should keep trying ;) If you guys need help making it happen, let me know :D
Adam Vokes
ChassisFlex Motorsports @ http://www.facebook.com/ChassisFlexMotorsports

Offline Phr00t

• CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »
I don't think FFB is really necessary, in rally you saw at the wheel so much it doesn't take away from it.

If you want though, I know for a fact that Logitech MOMO wheels work perfect with it. Their limited steering angle (240*) is like a real quick rack, and they only have a sequential option which is also realistic. They are dirt cheap, so if you want to try and make it work, I am completely down to do so.

RBR physics (depending on the car) are practically 10/10. Hard to go back, and the new mods make it beautiful.

Just sayin', you should keep trying ;) If you guys need help making it happen, let me know :D

FFB Does make a difference, RBR has maybe a bit less traction than real life so knowing when your wheels are gripping or slipping is important, I've put enough hours into it to know its quirks.
And I've spent many many hours working to get it going at the Race Room, unfortunately just with their hardware and setups, not much can be changed from the hardware side, and there are some limitations. So it wouldn't be the full experience and they're not looking to deliver anything other than the best that's currently out there.
Steve W

Offline BlackArcher101

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »
DIRT > RBR overall. The FFB and motion on RaceRooms sims helped immensely with iRacing, I can't wait to try it out on Dirt. At home I did try Dirt without FFB on my wheel turned on, what a disaster that was, couldn't tell what the car was doing just with visual clues. Those poor trees.
Brad D

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »

anything