Author Topic: This Forum is Closing  (Read 2719 times)

Offline speedracer

• Torque? Just crank up the boost!
  • Administrator
  • Plaid RPM
  • A peon...
    • speedracer.ca
This Forum is Closing
« on: May 02, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »
May 2, 2018

Hello Friends and Colleagues,

It has been a good journey and it is time to say goodbye.

Many of you that read this may only know of me as the forum administrator – “Speedracer”, or from my short term role as the CSCC President (Dec 14, 2017 – April 3, 2018).  Let me tell you my story. I started my journey into motorsports with my father in 1998 in what was called solo 2 (autoslalom).  During those years I was heavily active in solo sports as well as taking on the challenges in leadership roles in organizing, Autoslalom, and lapping (track) days for a number of years. I was also part of the small CSCC team that brought in the inauguration of Canadian Western Autoslalom Championship (CWAC) and the Canadian National Autoslalom Championship (CNAC) to Calgary.

This forum has been enthusiastically looked after, coding maintained, hardware supported, and fully funded by myself since April 22, 2002. May 2, 2002 was the officially unveiling to the internet. In a blink of an eye, sixteen years have lapsed and this forum has become the unofficial voice for CSCC members and motorsport enthusiasts in Calgary.  Sadly, I have decided to shut down the forum and it will remain operational until the last week of May, 2018. It has been a joy and I thank you for allowing me the pleasure in being your host.

Along the way, I also founded the Calgary Sports Car Facebook Page; formally known as a Fan Page since April 23, 2009. I am one of only two remaining custodians that have been actively looking after and promoting the CSCC mission since that time. I will also be stepping down from administrative duties with regards to the Face Book page.

The CSCC is a community that I have made many lasting friendships of which I have broken bread and attended each other’s weddings. I am extremely proud of the work that I was able to accomplish in fostering motorsports to the community at large and bringing awareness to the CSCC mission. Those are the wonderful memories I take from being with the club.

To my good friends who shared in the trials and tribulations of coding, running multiple servers, trying to reach that goal of 99.998% server uptime. I thank you for the hard work. You know who you are and I will always be grateful for the support and the ability to learn from you.

See you at the track,

Brando

The Calgary Sports Car Club mission:
TO FOSTER THE APPRECIATION OF MOTORSPORTS, TO AFFORD OPPORTUNITIES TO ITS MEMBERS OF ACQUIRING KNOWLEDGE OF ALL ASPECT OF MOTORSPORTS AND AUTOMOBILES IN GENERAL AND TO PROMOTE THE INTERESTS OF MOTORSPORTS (Application for formation under The Societies Act, June 28, 1956)

Brando
#23 D-Mod 98 ACR neon
#69 ST-4 94 EG Turbo @ 1.20kg/cm2 :D
#69 IT-J 94 Integra
94 TLC - Tow Rig

Hosted by speedracer.ca

This Forum is Closing
« on: May 02, 2018, 10:55:38 PM »

Offline speedracer

• Administrator
  • Plaid RPM
  • A peon...
    • speedracer.ca
Re: This Forum is Closing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:03:35 PM »
This forum served to a 'hardcore' group of racing car enthusiasts, as such it would be difficult to compared to other local forums like www.beyond.ca. However, it was the largest active local multi-disciplinary racing car club motor-sport forum in Alberta - Autoslalom, Time Attack, Road Race, TSD Rally, Stage Rally.

In-terms of forums and it's usefulness: Many corporations have tried to re-invent the forum and have not succeed - Yahoo Groups, Google Groups, Facebook groups... etc. The reality is that forums fill a need for the internet community - Reddit is very much a forum :)

Archived Historical Solo Sport Results

My early years with CSCC I was one of two Chief of Timing for Solo 2, for a number of years.
* Grab those results before they go away as the club has not kept records
Ice Dice, WinterAutoX, Autoslalom, CNAC, CWAC

It may be hard to imagine, but the Internet was not as accessible as it is now. The 2002 records I believe are posted as attachments (search is your friend). I never kept up with Rally scores as I didn't know how to capture them. I believe Shawn has kept a good archive on the various CSCC Rally web portals.

Meeting minutes
2018 CSCC Meeting minutes
Should there be discrepancy with the 2018 CSCC meeting minutes. There are no other meeting minutes available to my knowledge.

Geeky Info:
Stats:
Dec 2017 - April 2018
  • Average Monthly Bandwidth:                 4.2 gigabyte
  • Average Unique Monthly Visitors : 10,647 * Unique IP, known bots & crawlers removed
  • Average Monthly Visitors:             441,801
  • Average Daily Users (logged in):          68 Users
  • Average New topics per Month:           11.5
  • Average Posts per Month:                   54.16
  • Average New Members:                       2.5
  • Traffic Order:                              Canada, United States, UK, Unknown, Germany
  • Facebook users:                                  25 users

[ June 2017 added the ability for FB users to login]

Server Life:
As this site is being shut down here is a glimpse of the trials and tribulations:
  • 2 Cache servers (Content Delivery) support the site
  • 2 stand by servers mirror this site
  • 2007-2010: 10 - 12 GB bandwidth per month
  • www2 and www3 existed
  • Dedicated IP of course
  • At it's "prime" 3 physical servers in strategic geolocation datacenter
  • multiple support servers handling traffic
  • Solaris rocks!
  • Windows 2000 NT was a challenge

-lots of silly coding to make it function like a UNIX server - it was fun and was stable for a number of years (Yes, IIS is ok)
  • There has always been a mirrored server
  • There has always been a beta site
  • Backup's are encrypted and stored off site
  • Virtualized Servers since 2013
  • Hard Drives: ATA to SCSI to SATA to SAS to SSD

This was the most challenging setup in the infancy of dual processors compared to now
  • AMD Dual MP 2200  :rockon:
  • Tyan Server Motherboards Rocks!

The other box's that the site lived in were IBM Netfinity, Compaq Server, Sparc Stations (Did I mention Solaris Rocks?)

Network Connections:
  • 56K, ADSL, Bonded ADSL, T1, T1.5, T3, OC3 (kinda)
Bespoke Coding:
I never kept track of the number of lines of code that I've written for this site. It evolved from coding directly to best practices in writing full packages.
Highlights:
  • Automated Firewall
  • Automated Anti-Spam
  • Automated Anti Robot

- Proactive in intercepting spam through various RBL methods
  • Routing Daemons
  • Heavy customization third party application
MotosportReg
  • I wrote some test application to interface with MotorsportReg

- Going forward MSR does fill a void for motorsports and they offer tools that can can provide accountability. It just requires like anything else some work.
Fact: It will never be as good as an in house solution
Caveat: So long as the in house solution is continuously developed. Code monkeys cost money :)

Feeling Nostalgic?

Brando
#23 D-Mod 98 ACR neon
#69 IT-J 94 Integra
94 TLC - Tow Rig

Offline Flying_Finn

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 12:28:50 PM »
Wow, talk about the end of an era. I was not sad to see the old yahoo groups 20-emails-a-day go away when this forum came around, but that is definitely not how I feel at the moment. What a commitment to keep at for so long, I've really appreciated relying on this resource for so many years, and I totally understand your decision.

For all of it from 2002 till now, Thank you Thank you Thank you Brando! Unbelievable amount of hours and dedication to keep this going, there is no way we can thank you enough. This has been one of the most useful and active motorsport forums I've ever come across, and with a blessed minimum of fighting and trolling too.

I'm pretty sure this is the longest online presence that I've ever had an account for... even including email addresses I think. Very sad to see it go.

Offline dirtyspoons

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 01:51:52 PM »
The CSCC Forum was the second forum i have ever joined. i know i have not posted much and i have not been able to contribute the the club as a whole. but i did keep my self up to date and checked the message board almost every day.

Cheers to Brando for doing everything for so long.  :bow:
cheers to everyone for being awesome  :beer:
and i will miss checking this forum 4-8 times a day to pass the time.

sad times indeed
mazda RMX 75 - Now for sale (aaaaand its gone...)
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - i cant keep any thing nice (gone)
2000 pos Civic DX (cant even afford a EK)

Offline Morison

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:45:16 PM »
A huge thanks to Brando for building this hub of activity, and keeping it active over the years.
While forums seem to be giving way to facebook and other social media tools, there is little question that this one in particular has been well used and gets good traffic.

It is a sad day for sure.
Keith Morison
PR - Calgary Sports Car Club
Morison Communications

Offline Nanners

• 2018 Rally Director
  • Arch (Moderator)
  • 7000 RPM
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 10:29:47 PM »
A big disappointment. Thanks for the hard work over the years Brando.

Offline PBodyGuy

• Floating Motorsport Resource
  • Arch (Moderator)
  • 7000 RPM
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 06:09:09 AM »
Sorry to see it go.  Thanks for all your efforts Brando!

Chris
Spec Miata #13
...a couple other things ;)

Offline Murray Peterson

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
Thanks for all your work Brando -- it was (and is) appreciated.
It's all about the corners!

2017 Miata
2007 Mazda3 (the truck)

Offline lophilip

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
I'm going to miss this forum!

Offline lophilip

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
BTW where would I get the upcoming events, schedules, etc?

Offline S.A.M.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
Brando,

From 2002........

:good: :bow:

Thank you,

Shane
03 BMW H/S, 91 Seafoam Green 240sx G/S, 95 Plymouth nEOn G/S, 87 Dodge Shelby Charger D/MOD, 90 Dodge Shadow ES G/S

Offline seat safety switch

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 01:19:53 PM »
Thank you for all your hard work over the years. Much appreciated.
'97 Miata (ES) #75

Offline SpecV-Trevor

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 03:56:57 PM »
It's been a number of years since I've been active in the community but when I was this forum was at the center of it all.

Without a doubt the best moderated forum I've ever been a member of.

Thank you and all your helpers for making it such an iconic place to be.

Despite not being around much over the last few years I am sad to see it go.
2016 SRT 392 // 1972 Datsun 510 2dr // 1972 Datsun 510 4dr

Offline speedracer

• Administrator
  • Plaid RPM
  • A peon...
    • speedracer.ca
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
I appreciate the phone calls, posts, pm's, and emails. Thank you for being part of the community.

I also wanted to point out that this forum was looked after by quite a few passionate moderators. Many were/are CSCC members.

Brando
#23 D-Mod 98 ACR neon
#69 IT-J 94 Integra
94 TLC - Tow Rig

Offline PBodyGuy

• Floating Motorsport Resource
  • Arch (Moderator)
  • 7000 RPM
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 06:18:46 AM »
But only one sysadmin!