Author Topic: Exhaust wraps - pros/cons?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline rx7racerca

Exhaust wraps - pros/cons?
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
The other day the timing belt went on our SVT Focus, so I get to pull the head and get it rebuilt, since it's an interference engine... the biggest PITA so far has been the tiny 8mm bolts Ford used to affix the heat shields to the stock stainless long-tube header. They are of course  badly corroded, and it looks like I may have to cut up them, and/or the heatshield - which I'm sure is needed, there are a number of coolant hoses and the plastic fan that are quite close to the heat shield. My thought is if I end up wrecking it getting it off to replace it with exhaust wrap on the header tubes.

Is there any downside to using an exhaust wrap, either in terms of shortening the life of the factory header, or in terms of not shielding/keeping heat away from the nearby components?
Greg

'91 RX-7 STS - 180+bhp. Torque: what's torque?
'05 Mazda 6 GT wagon
'02 Focus SVT
'96 Passat GLX VR6 - gone, if not forgiven!

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

Exhaust wraps - pros/cons?
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »

Online nnywg

Re: Exhaust wraps - pros/cons?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
I've heard that exhaust wraps can lead to accelerated corrosion issues.  The theory is that the wraps retain moisture (road spray, car wash, etc.) that would otherwise air-dry.  But I don't have personal experience, and we live in a fairly dry climate compared to places like coastal California where all car forum news originates.  I'd be more worried about it soaking up oil or gas from a slow leak somewhere and then suddenly have it catch fire like a home-brew tikitorch.

PB Blaster intermixed with heat cycles from a little plumber's torch go a long way on nasty exhaust bolts. 
'07 Tacoma X-runner
'85 Celica Supra (restomod in progress)
'72 Hilux

Offline Tuna

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:28 PM »
Greg,

1. I have a SVT complete engine in my garage.
2. wrap it with something quality like DEI titanium wrap. Don't worry about moisture/corrosion on exhaust headers unless you plan to spray the engine bay and leave it to drip dry. The engine bay is hotter than hell in these things.

Shane

edit:: don't wreck that heat shield.
Photo by Ian Gulinao

Offline rx7racerca

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »
I've been been using Deep Creep and some transmission fluid on those bolts, along with a torch. Two of 6 came out reasonably easily; the other 4 no dice - and I soaked the bolts back on Sunday, so they sat a couple days before I went at it.

Shane - why the edit about not wrecking the heat shield? Better to keep it than use exhaust wrap?
Greg

'91 RX-7 STS - 180+bhp. Torque: what's torque?
'05 Mazda 6 GT wagon
'02 Focus SVT
'96 Passat GLX VR6 - gone, if not forgiven!

Offline Tuna

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 08:59:18 PM »
I've been been using Deep Creep and some transmission fluid on those bolts, along with a torch. Two of 6 came out reasonably easily; the other 4 no dice - and I soaked the bolts back on Sunday, so they sat a couple days before I went at it.

Shane - why the edit about not wrecking the heat shield? Better to keep it than use exhaust wrap?
I'd do both mate. My engine bay is a raging inferno.

Use some percussive maintenance on those bolts. Give em a whack. Spray. Whack, Sprack, Whey. Done.
Photo by Ian Gulinao

Offline dujake

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 03:27:50 AM »
I think ceramic coating is a better idea than using wraps.

Offline Tbr_moto

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
I own the local focus rally car, with wrapped SVT headers. I can attest that after every time we detail the car (every event or test), by the time I start the car up, move it from the wash bay into the trailer it steams like crazy on start up and after 5 minutes (or less) of running the wrap seems to be fairly dry. We haven't had any issues with corrosion that I've noticed.
2000 Ford Focus rally car
www.facebook.com/TBRmotorsports

Offline Tbr_moto

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
Greg,

1. I have a SVT complete engine in my garage.
2. wrap it with something quality like DEI titanium wrap. Don't worry about moisture/corrosion on exhaust headers unless you plan to spray the engine bay and leave it to drip dry. The engine bay is hotter than hell in these things.

Shane

edit:: don't wreck that heat shield.

Want to sell that engine?
2000 Ford Focus rally car
www.facebook.com/TBRmotorsports

Offline speedracer

• Torque? Just crank up the boost!
  • Administrator
  • Plaid RPM
  • A peon...
    • speedracer.ca
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »
Is there any downside to using an exhaust wrap, either in terms of shortening the life of the factory header, or in terms of not shielding/keeping heat away from the nearby components?

As stated by others I wouldn't worry too much with wet exhaust wrap. The header gets hot :)

Street Car: I haven't noticed any issue with exhaust wrap in terms of corrosion, but my header is also ceramic coated - 16 years now.  The header to pipe section that I also wrap (exhaust pipe closer to the ground). It wears from rocks and road debris - needs to be replaced / repaired when frayed.

* Obviously mileage will vary
Brando
#23 D-Mod 98 ACR neon
#69 ST-4 94 EG Turbo @ 1.20kg/cm2 :D
#69 IT-J 94 Integra
94 TLC - Tow Rig

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:04 PM »