Author Topic: Brake-rotor turning - anyone know a place?  (Read 387 times)

Offline rx7racerca

Brake-rotor turning - anyone know a place?
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »
Anyone know where you can get rotors turned, preferably in or near the SE? My fronts are slightly warped (pulsing pedal), probably from snow and ice packing into the wheels while out on Ghost Lake while the brakes got hot from traction control trying to limit wheel spin. Auto Value used to do it at their Horizon location, but they're in the midst of moving right now. The rotors have over 98% of their allowable wear left, so it's kind of a waste to toss them. Before anyone counsels me that it's cheaper to just buy new, it's not, unless turning them is a lot more than the $20 that seems to be the price Auto Value was charging (and I was expecting a new price that was quite bit lower than I've been quoted or found online).
Greg

'91 RX-7 STS - 180+bhp. Torque: what's torque?
'05 Mazda 6 GT wagon
'02 Focus SVT
'96 Passat GLX VR6 - gone, if not forgiven!

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

Brake-rotor turning - anyone know a place?
« on: March 29, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

Offline nnywg

Re: Brake-rotor turning - anyone know a place?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 02:11:09 PM »
I've used Aaron machine shop for things before and would go back.  I don't know if that's overkill but you can give them a shout.  Blackfoot and Glenmore
'07 Tacoma X-runner
'85 Celica Supra (restomod in progress)
'72 Hilux

Offline rx7racerca

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 09:21:40 AM »
Thanks, I tried Aaron (I'd already tried, I've had them recommended before for other machining work), took a couple tries to get through their voicemail system to speak to someone who could help - short story, they could do it, but they're not set up for it, so it would be shop rates of $50 per half hour, so that's not going to make sense most likely, unless I'm putting it up against the $300 Wagner rotors at Part Source (!!).
I'll try a couple of brake and muffler shops, see if they'll do loose rotors.
Greg

'05 Mazda 6 GT wagon
'02 Focus SVT

Offline Murray Peterson

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
Call Dale Spooner at Fifty Fourth and Fourth Auto Repair (in the SW) (403-252-5987).  He does all of the work on our cars, and I know that he has a rotor machine in his shop.
It's all about the corners!

2002 S2000 (under-prepared STR, non-competitive BS)
2007 Mazda3 (the truck)

Offline rx7racerca

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »
Thanks Murray, I'll give them a ding tomorrow. I gave up Friday, I finally found a Midas in the SW that said they could - but it was pretty clear they didn't want to (probably wanted to sell me a brake job instead), and I think he pulled a price out of the air that he knew no one would likely bite on.
Greg

'05 Mazda 6 GT wagon
'02 Focus SVT

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 03:49:48 PM »

anything