Author Topic: Badlands Motorsports Park  (Read 696 times)

partsunknown and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Robbossman

Badlands Motorsports Park
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »
Does anyone know any updates about how this is coming along?

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

Badlands Motorsports Park
« on: March 11, 2017, 11:45:44 AM »

Offline trenon

Re: Badlands Motorsports Park
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 01:18:36 PM »
I would like to know as well. I thought they were starting construction this year.

Offline nnywg

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »
on a tangent to this, Mountain View County seems to have just approved the Rocky Mountain Motorsports land use near Carstairs.  Still a ways to go there, but that's a big step in the right direction
'07 Tacoma X-runner
'85 Celica Supra (restomod in progress)
'72 Hilux

Offline Reijo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »
I would like to know as well. I thought they were starting construction this year.

Yep, estimating/hoping for construction June or July ...  As a side note, Badlands got their zoning Jan 14/14 ... over 3 years ago ... so there is quite a bit of work to do yet.

R

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:13:44 PM by Reijo »
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."  Earl W

Online PrezeS_PL

• 2013-2016 Rallycross Director
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
    • Polish Rally Mafia
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:57:06 PM »
Yep, estimating/hoping for construction June or July ...  As a side note, Badlands got their zoning Jan 14/14 ... over 3 years ago ... so there is quite a bit of work to do yet.

R

Not all is equal, lots depends on individuals involved.
Badlands started the process back in 2008 or something like that, where RMM only recently started pursuing the approval  for that location.
When CKRC was looking at the option to build new kart track in Shepard, the approval process with City of Calgary was 12+ months. The approval process with City of Strathmore took only couple of months and the delay was caused by rocky view county appeal.
I'm not saying it will be smooth sailing from now on but I wouldn't be surprised if RMM is finished first.

Having two race tracks close by seems like a good thing for racers but will there be enough demand to support to facilities?.
Will either one of them allow club racing, like CSCC organized road racing championship or time attack?

I wish all the best to both teams and can't wait to see them up and running.

Offline Reijo

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
Not all is equal, lots depends on individuals involved.
Badlands started the process back in 2008 or something like that, where RMM only recently started pursuing the approval  for that location.
When CKRC was looking at the option to build new kart track in Shepard, the approval process with City of Calgary was 12+ months. The approval process with City of Strathmore took only couple of months and the delay was caused by rocky view county appeal.
I'm not saying it will be smooth sailing from now on but I wouldn't be surprised if RMM is finished first.

Having two race tracks close by seems like a good thing for racers but will there be enough demand to support to facilities?.
Will either one of them allow club racing, like CSCC organized road racing championship or time attack?

I wish all the best to both teams and can't wait to see them up and running.

What is your reasoning based on Chris?  I don't understand that.

You are talking about a kart track with no infrastructure (e.g. water sewer, roads buildings etc) to speak of vs. almost building a small town (up to a few  thousand people to handle who need food, washrooms, homes, garages,  full-sized sized tracks in the middle of nowhere, a subdivision c/w roads, sanitary sewers, water reservoir with fire capacity, 10 km. of new road construction for site access).  What did the kart track cost to build?  Maybe $500,000?  BMR is in the order of $60million built on a section of land (e.g. 4x the size of Race City).

Those are QUITE different. 

Even the road tracks are quite different from each other.  I don't think the work/design is the same.

As for who is BMR open to?   Why not read instead of making assumptions (that are incorrect by the way):

http://www.badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/

It will be open to anyone who wants to rent the track (check the link above) but members will have special access (remember there are two tracks!).

Is there room for two tracks?  Well, Race City was built when Calgary was less than half the size it is now (never mind the surrounding communities).  Remember that Race City was completely used all days of the week just before it was closed?  We could no longer run solo events there at the end because Art could rent out the track in the evenings to others (instead of just the south end).

Plus, I think BMR will be drawing people from far away ... not just locals ... with the greatest elevation change of any track in North America, it will get international attention and draw.

These are not simple, "little" tracks.  Like I said check out the link - lots of info there if you want to know.

Reijo

Online PrezeS_PL

• 2013-2016 Rallycross Director
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 6000 RPM
    • Polish Rally Mafia
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 06:56:55 PM »
i did not compare kart track to full size road course  :lol:
Only pointed out how doing same thing could of been done on two different timelines, hence you should assume RMM will follow similar path to Badlands.
Just because it's taking 3+ years to finalize construction plans for one track doesn't mean another one will not start getting build sooner. In short: things are not linear.
That's all.

I also didn't make any assumptions to who the tracks will be open to, I simply asked the question and you made the assumption I think the club racing is out of the question or something like that.

And I'm happy to hear that you think that there is room for two racing facilities and possibilities for international support.

PS I'm sorry if I wasn't clear enough, and btw I'm not someone who jumps into conclusions that's why I ask questions :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 07:30:30 PM by PrezeS_PL »

Offline Reijo

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 09:38:07 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications.  Communications are often very unclear on the internet as we all know I'm sure.  In fact they are very poor at best.  :(

Cheers,

Reijo

Offline Shawn

• Canadian Source of Race & Rally Equipment
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 8000 RPM
  • CSCC Webmaster
    • RALLYSPORT.CA
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 10:33:59 AM »
Hey Reijo,  Any update from BMR?  I saw a post somewhere recently, that there was another council meeting with them, and see it on the March 28 agenda. No minutes yet.

Offline Reijo

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »
No, I haven't heard anything.  Jay was in Fontana on the weekend and I think James was also ...

R

Offline trenon

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:19:48 AM »
Anyone know if they started moving dirt yet?

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 10:19:48 AM »

anything