Author Topic: 2017 SCCA rules!  (Read 611 times)

Offline Reijo

2017 SCCA rules!
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."  Earl W

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

2017 SCCA rules!
« on: February 03, 2017, 11:52:44 AM »

Offline JCS

Re: 2017 SCCA rules!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
I've not done SCCA previously.  I'm going to be attending events this year, can you help me class my vehicle.

1991 Corolla GTS.  Tein Coil Overs is the only modification.  Running on Falken Azenis RT615K rubber.

I am thinking I am HS?

Offline Stuart007

• 2017 Race Director
  • CSCC (Moderator)
  • 7000 RPM
    • Atomic Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 10:20:04 AM »
I've not done SCCA previously.  I'm going to be attending events this year, can you help me class my vehicle.

1991 Corolla GTS.  Tein Coil Overs is the only modification.  Running on Falken Azenis RT615K rubber.

I am thinking I am HS?

If the coilovers have different springs than stock you would end up in STS.
2004 Mazda Rx-8 #73 STX "Little Boy" - Sold
1992 Mazda Miata "Ahura Mazda"
1996 Spec Miata #26 "Naming Rights Available For Rent"
atomicracing.ca

Offline JCS

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 10:39:10 AM »
If the coilovers have different springs than stock you would end up in STS.

Ok so the number would be 92STS if thats what I wanted?

And basically in that class I'm racing myself cos I'll not be particularly competitive.  Does that upset people or are the competitors in Alberta pretty good?

Offline Reijo

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »

And basically in that class I'm racing myself cos I'll not be particularly competitive.  Does that upset people or are the competitors in Alberta pretty good?

No problem, everyone starts some place ... very few are naturally fast right off.  Your best competition is yourself:  Look to do better each time, each run.   :)

Also, don't spend much money on car mods ... the loose nut behind the wheel will yield more improvement and the skills transfer to your next car!

R
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."  Earl W

Offline nnywg

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 12:28:40 PM »
...or are the competitors in Alberta pretty good?

Welcome to the group!  There are some seriously talented drivers here with well-set up cars who compete and trophy at US events.  But that shouldn't be a discouragement or intimidation.  Everyone's really friendly and helpful.  I've been racing myself for 2 years, other than my very first event that had a diesel jetta in my class.  Bring whatchagot, be respectful and friendly, and you'll have a great time.

Pro tip, don't get too committed to car numbers just yet.  There's two clubs that mix events, and car numbers are sometimes a bit convoluted.  Just bring painters tape to make whatever # you need for the day.
'07 Tacoma X-runner
'85 Celica Supra (restomod in progress)
'72 Hilux

Offline FrozenMarzBar3

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »

When you are just starting out, you shouldn't be too concerned about classing. Just make sure your car is safe, run what you brung, and have a good time! Nobody is going to be truly competitive when they first start out.

I started autox-ing in a piece of junk that fell into one of the worst classes in autox (FP), and it had a small engine, old tires, and made tons of body roll in the corners. It was not competitive at all..... Still, it gave me a great opportunity to practice and improve my techniques, and it also gave me the opportunity to learn car control, as well as provided me with the opportunity to learn from some experienced drivers... and there are a lot of experienced drivers out there. Experienced drivers that are more than willing to take you for a ride, and teach you a thing or two :)
Cole M.
'08 Legacy Spec B
'94 Laggin' Wagon

Calgary Sports Car Club Forum - Hosted by speedracer.ca

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »